No matter what services or products you provide, any eCommerce website is going to need to select a payment gateway & methods of accepting payment
The difference between an eCommerce solution vs. payment gateway is that one typically charges transaction fees for handling the payment process.
Transaction Fees & Providers
- Stripe at 2.9% + $0.3 per transaction
- Paypal Standard at 2.9% + $0.3 per transaction (external check out process)
- Bambora at 2.8% + $0.3 per transaction, as well as $25 monthly fee and one time setup fee
- Moneris at variable rates (MasterCard / Visa at 1.6% + $0.05) plus one time setup fee of $150
- Paystone at variable rates as low as 1.27% + $0.05 per transaction with $20 monthly fee
With plenty of startups disrupting the payment processing industry there will likely be new competitors charging even less fees.